In a heartbreaking incident, a 16-month-old boy named Michael Alexander Pollock III from Little Rock lost his life to primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, a rare and deadly infection caused by the brain-eating amoeba known as Naegleria fowleri.
Exposure to Deadly Amoeba
The Pulaski County coroner confirmed this tragic death and warned of the severe consequences of exposure to this amoeba.
The Tragic Loss of a Toddler
The Arkansas Department of Health, while not disclosing the individual’s name, issued a statement acknowledging the loss of an Arkansas resident due to the amoeba infection, which is also referred to as Naegleria fowleri.
He Likely Got It From a Splash Pad
According to their news release, it is likely that the individual contracted the infection while playing in a splash pad at the Country Club of Little Rock.
The Toddler Sadly Lost His Life
Coroner Gerone Hobbs sadly reported that young Michael passed away on the evening of September 4th at Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock.
His Heartbreaking Obituary
His obituary, published in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette on September 6th, described Michael as someone who, despite his brief time on Earth, managed to touch the hearts of family, friends, and even strangers with his illuminating smile and playful nature.
They Sent Samples to the CDC
Following this tragic incident, the Health Department promptly sent samples from the pool and splash pad to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for further investigation.
The CDC Confirmed the Startling News
The CDC confirmed the presence of traces of Naegleria fowleri in one of the samples from the splash pad. However, the agency is still awaiting results from the remaining samples to gain a comprehensive understanding of the situation.
The CDC Says It Rarely Infects Humans
While the CDC emphasizes that Naegleria fowleri is a relatively common amoeba found in warm, low-level freshwater bodies such as rivers, lakes, and streams, it rarely infects humans.
Usually at the Bottom of Warm Water
The amoeba typically resides at the bottom of these water bodies, often in the sediment.
Needs to Be Inhaled
To infect a person, it must be inhaled through the nose and make its way to the brain.
Doesn’t Just Happen From Ingesting
Importantly, individuals cannot become infected by ingesting water contaminated with the amoeba, according to the Health Department.
Has an Alarming Death Rate
Despite its rarity, Naegleria fowleri infections are exceptionally dangerous, with a death rate of 97%, according to the CDC.
The Deadly Potential
This tragic incident tragically highlights the deadly potential of the amoeba, and it serves as a somber reminder that such infections can have devastating consequences.
This Isn’t the First Time
The last known case of a person infected with Naegleria fowleri in Arkansas was in July 2013 when 12-year-old Kali Hardig of Benton contracted the amoeba after visiting Willow Springs Water Park in Little Rock.
She Survived and the Water Park Didn’t
Remarkably, Kali survived, but the water park ceased operations following the incident.
Usually Happens in the Summertime
The CDC says that most cases of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) occur during the summer months, and historically, 11 states, primarily in the South and Southwest, have reported four or more cases of PAM.
This Is the Sixth Case
Arkansas has had six reported cases over the past decades, according to CDC statistics.
The Crippling Symptoms
Symptoms of Naegleria fowleri infection usually begin with a severe headache, fever, and nausea, later progressing to a stiff neck, seizures, and potentially a coma, ultimately resulting in death.
“Final Last Words” – Palliative Care Nurse Reveals the Most Common Words Spoken Before Death, Can You Predict the Chilling Pattern?
Julie, a dedicated hospice nurse from Los Angeles, California, with 1.3 million followers, sheds light on the moments before death and dispels hospice myths. “Final Last Words” – Palliative Care Nurse Reveals the Most Common Words Spoken Before Death, Can You Predict the Chilling Pattern?
Female Army Vet Accused of Faking Her Credentials, BUT When They Checked Her Background – They Were in for a Surprise!
This tale of not judging a book by its cover comes from Reddit. A military veteran questioned the legitimacy of another vet’s claim to be part of the school’s veterans organization. Female Army Vet Accused of Faking Her Credentials, BUT When They Checked Her Background – They Were in for a Surprise!
Trans Swimmer Falls Short in Men’s Team, Wins Gold in Women’s Division – Now Faces Possible Lifetime Ban Amid Controversy
A transgender swimmer has been surrounded by controversy after winning the NCAA and not facing a ban. Trans Swimmer Falls Short in Men’s Team, Wins Gold in Women’s Division – Now Faces Possible Lifetime Ban Amid Controversy
“Honey, I’m Home!” – Husband Cuts Work Hours to Teach His Wife a Lesson, Now She’s up in Arms for Missing Out on Luxuries
A man recently asked Redditors for their opinions after he cut back at work to satisfy his wife’s demands that he do more chores at home. Here is his full story. “Honey, I’m Home!” – Husband Cuts Work Hours to Teach His Wife a Lesson, Now She’s up in Arms for Missing Out on Luxuries
“Unsafe Haven for Black Students” – White Professor’s Explosive Racial Confrontation With Black Student Ignites Controversy and Heated Discourse
The footage, which quickly went viral, shows the professor vehemently shouting at the student, demanding to know their name, and ultimately instructing them to leave the classroom. The incident has ignited a broader discussion about racial dynamics and appropriate conduct within educational environments, particularly within historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs). “Unsafe Haven for Black Students” – White Professor’s Explosive Racial Confrontation With Black Student Ignites Controversy and Heated Discourse
Featured Image Credit: Shutterstock / KomootP. The people shown in the images are for illustrative purposes only, not the actual people featured in the story.